I was recently hired by a church in my area to maintain their computers, networks, information services, and web site. Being a poor college student, and previously, a jobless high school student, I’ve gained an appreciation for frugality. That, combined with witnessing disproportionate amounts of cash misdirected in other area ministries, I am determined to support the ministries at this church by positively affecting the most people and supporting the ministry staff while operating under one of the smallest budgets.
One of the responsibilities I took over was the creation of the Sunday morning visual presentation (lyrics, sermon notes, announcements, etc). Previously, someone purchased stock photos from iStockphoto to use as backgrounds for lyrics. Unfortunately, it seemed that this person (long gone before I arrived) had very little money with which to work. There were only a handful of images which were only in small to medium-sized web quality; certainly not something that would look any good when blown up on a large projection screen.
So, off I went on a hunt to find web sites and Flickr users that would allow me to use their photos freely. Sure, there’s plenty of sites out there that offer spectacular photos made specifically for the purpose, but it all comes at a price. After some time, I’ve discovered a few good sites, and one really good Flickr group who freely share their works with the church community. Even if you don’t need backgrounds, or any of the images found on these sites, they’re a great place to get ideas for your own graphic projects.
Free worship and church backgrounds, graphics, and media:
- Shared Worship Background Graphics (a Flickr group pool)
- CreativeMYK Gallery (community dedicated to sharing resources)
- Background 4 Christian
- Church Worship Graphics (Flickr set by dtchristner)
- Christian Wallpaper (Flickr set by David Gunter)
- E-Water (offers simple, yet inspiring videos available in flash, PPT, or avi format) (Added 7/19/09)
- kineticFaith (focuses on providing a full suite of images and videos for central themes) (Added 8/20/09)
- VintageChurch.cc (web site dedicated to connecting churches with substantial resources to those with less) (Added 1/24/11)
- Free Presentation and Worship Backgrounds
Also, if you’re looking for videos or motion backgrounds, here’s a web site that gives them away for simply registering. They’re the real deal, and they’re doing a wonderful thing. Consider sharing your media with them if you have any to share:
This web site provides a small selection of free video backgrounds in return for registering:
- Videos2Worship – Motion Background Loops (updated 4/30/12)
Leave a comment
(Possibly) Related Discoveries
- Filomena on 100s of Free Worship Backgrounds & Graphics [Church Media]
- Sparky on Bypass PdaNet Trial Restriction on Android
- Courtney on Aesop Job Notifications: Comparing Jobulator, SubAssistant, and Sub Sidekick
- Jennifer on Aesop Job Notifications: Comparing Jobulator, SubAssistant, and Sub Sidekick
- huong on Finally! Video Backgrounds in Microsoft Office PowerPoint [Office 2010]